In some Asian and African countries, rats are one of the most accessible street foods. However, in the West, rats are only considered as nuisance creature. Finding the courage to give their meat a try will be challenging. Most people will think it is disgusting. In fact, not a lot of people will continue reading this article after they’ve read the title. Nonetheless, you will be surprised that some of the recipes we will list below are considered a delicacy in some countries.
Roasted Rat Recipe
The meat of the rat will taste like a chicken except for that additional feet and the tail. Some people love to pair this with beer due to its luscious taste. The roasted rat will be prepared like the meat of the chicken. You will use a farm rat and not your ordinary house rat. The farm rats are eating mainly vegetables such as watermelon and rice. This means that the meat will have the clean and sweet scent. Some people will feed the rat with rice for 5 days to make sure that it will be clean.
1. Skin the rat to reveal its pinkish meat. Some people will put the rat on the fire to remove its excessive fur. After this, the rat should be gutted and the head and the paw should be removed. Make sure that you will leave the tail of the rat intact.
2. Season the meat with oyster sauce, garlic and a fish sauce. If you want to make the taste more authentic, add a Thai sauce that you can purchase on a local grocery store.
3. Place it inside your electric oven and cook it until it is golden brown on all sides.
Spaghetti with Rat Meatballs
If you don’t want the meat of the rat to look completely like a rat, you can grind the meat and turn it into meatballs. The spaghetti will be cooked just like the traditional form of spaghetti. You will need eggs, herbs, cheese, carrots, peas, spaghetti, pasta sauce, mushroom, capsicum, zucchinis, onion, and oil.
1. Start by preparing the sauce. In a sauce pan, add oil and grounded rat meat. Stir it occasionally until the meat is golden brown. Mix the onion and continue stirring it. Once the onion softens, you can now add the mushroom, zucchinis, and the capsicum.
2. After the sauce has been prepared, it is now time to create the meatballs. Break up your grounded rat meat and add the herbs and the eggs. Form it into a round object and place it in an oven for 15 minutes.
3. Start boiling the pasta for 15 minutes; add the carrots and peas as garnish. Serve it like a regular type of spaghetti.
The rat recipes are popular in Southeast Asian countries except in the Philippines, which is heavily influenced by the Western Culture. If you are feeling a bit adventurous, you might want to have a taste of this unique cuisine.
Visit our Richmond wildlife control home page to learn more about us.